My Clay Mug

Hi! Today I’m going to talk a little bit about a project I did in art class. As you can probably tell by the title, we made mugs out of clay.

I learned a lot a lot about clay and clay tools in this class. For this mug we had to add an animal to it. I decided to add a dragon because my dog’s name is Drogon which is from the dragon named Drogon. I also added a lotus which is a flower because my mothers name is Kamala which means lotus in an Indian language. If you’re wondering, yes that is also why the vice president is Kamala. Making clay mugs was interestingly fun. First in class we had the cylinder and bottom to make a cup. Then the next day we added a handle. The day after that we smoothed out the lip and bottom of the mug. Then we started making out animals. something you might not know is that to attach pieces of clay, you have to score the clay which is sort of like taking something spiky and scratching the surface of the clay. Then you add something called slip which is this watery substance with dry clay in it. If you ever use slip, don’t mix it or put in more clay. You’ll hurt the slip. After we added all the clay and finish shaping it, our teacher let the moisture dry out so that she could put it in a kiln. This is a picture of before we put it in the kiln.

Picture taken by me Kashish.

After letting it dry, we put the mug into the kiln. The mug came out white because it was really dry and it had no moisture in it. Here is a picture after we took it out.

Picture taken by me – Kashish

After that, we glazed them which is basically painting them. Then we put them in the kiln again and we got our finished mug.

Picture taken by me – Kashish